By Kristine Hoglund,Magnus Oberg
This textbook presents a entire assessment of alternative tools and resources of information-gathering for peace and clash scholars and researchers, in addition to the demanding situations provided by way of such paintings.
Research on conflict-ridden societies includes certain demanding situations for the gathering and assessment of data concerning the clash and its actors. First, as a result of nature of knowledge rising, incentives to misrepresent and propaganda is usual. information assurance is usually negative and reporting is frequently incomplete, selective and biased. moment, the sensitivity of the subject and the questions posed in peace and clash learn signifies that entry to and the safety of informants could be a challenge.
Peace and clash examine as a self-discipline incorporates a variety of varied methods for acquiring empirical info which function a foundation for examining quite a few study themes. This publication offers a entire evaluate of alternative tools and resources of information-gathering for college kids and researchers, in addition to the demanding situations offered by way of such paintings. It deals:
- tools for comparing resources and information
- suggestions on the place forms of details might be found
- advice on utilizing kinds of resources, together with information reviews and written narratives
- practical guidance for developing large-scale datasets
- insights and guidance for comparative fieldwork, in-depth interviews, concentration teams, and surveys?
- reflection and dialogue on vital moral matters in peace research
This booklet may be of a lot curiosity for college kids and researchers of peace and clash reports, clash solution, battle and clash reports, improvement reports, safeguard reviews and IR, in addition to for NGO workers/researchers.
Kristine Höglund is affiliate Professor on the division of Peace and clash learn, Uppsala collage. She has a PhD in Peace and clash study from Uppsala college Sweden (2004). She is writer of Peacemaking within the Shadow of Violence.
Magnus Öberg is affiliate Professor on the division of Peace and clash learn, Uppsala college, and affiliate Editor of the Journal of Peace Research (since 2006). He has a PhD in Peace and clash learn from Uppsala collage (2003) and is co-editor of Resources, Governance, and Civil Conflict (Routledge, 2008).
Read or Download Understanding Peace Research: Methods and Challenges PDF
Similar war & peace books
Whereas the Islamic Republic has hired a number of thoughts to mitigate the worst excesses of inter-ethnic rigidity whereas nonetheless securing a Shi'a ruled "Persian hegemony," the systematic overlook of ethnic teams by means of either the Islamic Republic and its predecessor regime has led to the politicization of ethnic id in Iran.
For a very long time Russia’s place as a key international power participant has better Moscow’s overseas fiscal and political impression while inflicting trouble among different states terrified of changing into too depending on Russia as an power provider. the worldwide monetary situation shook this verified snapshot of Russia as an integral strength superpower, resistant to unfavourable exterior impacts and printed the entire volume of Russia’s dependence on oil and gasoline for financial and political effect.
More and more humanitarian NGOs function within the context of armed conflicts the place the protection hazards are larger than in contexts of common catastrophe. operating in Afghanistan, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Pakistan and Sri Lanka is very risky for humanitarians. This existential probability impacts the actual lifestyles of reduction staff and the implementation of humanitarian courses, and the center ideals of humanitarians and the underlying rules of humanitarian motion.
‘Track international relations and Jerusalem’ is the 1st in a chain of 3 books which jointly current the paintings of the Jerusalem previous urban Initiative, or JOCI, an enormous Canadian-led tune diplomatic attempt, undertaken among 2003 and 2014. JOCI’s raison d’être was once to discover sustainable governance suggestions for the outdated urban of Jerusalem, arguably the main delicate and intractable of the ultimate prestige concerns dividing Palestinians and Israelis.
- Conflict, Reconciliation and Peace Education: Moving Burundi Toward a Sustainable Future (Routledge Research in International and Comparative Education)
- When Men Lost Faith in Reason: Reflections on War and Society in the Twentieth Century (Studies in Military History and International Affairs)
- Conflict Transformation and Religion: Essays on Faith, Power, and Relationship
- Emily Greene Balch: The Long Road to Internationalism
- Local Ownership in International Peacebuilding: Key Theoretical and Practical Issues (Studies in Conflict, Development and Peacebuilding)
Extra resources for Understanding Peace Research: Methods and Challenges