By Christopher Moore
Read or Download Socrates and Self-Knowledge PDF
Similar greek & roman philosophy books
This booklet deals the 1st synoptic research of the way the first parts in wisdom buildings have been analysed in antiquity from Plato to overdue old commentaries. It argues that, within the Platonic-Aristotelian culture, the query of beginning issues used to be handled from unique issues of view: as a question of ways we collect easy wisdom; and as a question of the premises we may possibly instantly settle for within the line of argumentation.
In quantity of Ernest Fortin: accrued Essays, Fortin offers with the connection among faith and civil society in a Christian context: that of an primarily nonpolitical yet under no circumstances totally otherwordly faith, a lot of whose teachings have been regarded as essentially at odds with the tasks of citizenship.
Antisthenes of Athens (c. 445-365 BCE) used to be a well-known historic disciple of Socrates, senior to Plato through fifteen years and inspirational to Xenophon. he's suitable to 2 of the best turning issues in historic highbrow background, from pre-Socraticism to Socraticism, and from classical Athens to the Hellenistic interval.
Diagoras of Melos (lyric poet, fifth c. B. C. ) has obtained specified consciousness for your time now simply because he used to be considered as an intensive atheist and the writer of a prose paintings on atheism in antiquity. He was once infamous for revealing and ridiculing the Eleusinian Mysteries and was once condemned for impiety at Athens.
- Law, Reason, and the Cosmic City: Political Philosophy in the Early Stoa
- Milton's Socratic Rationalism: The Conversations of Adam and Eve in Paradise Lost (Politics, Literature, & Film)
- Protagoras and the Challenge of Relativism: Plato's Subtlest Enemy (Ashgate New Critical Thinking in Philosophy)
- Levels of Argument: A Comparative Study of Plato's Republic and Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics
- Aiming at Virtue in Plato
- Selected Philosophical Papers by Ludwig Edelstein: Volume 1 (Routledge Library Editions: Ancient Philosophy)
Extra info for Socrates and Self-Knowledge