By John G. Fitch
Read Online or Download Seneca (Oxford Readings in Classical Studies) PDF
Similar greek & roman philosophy books
This booklet bargains the 1st synoptic examine of the way the first components in wisdom buildings have been analysed in antiquity from Plato to overdue old commentaries. It argues that, within the Platonic-Aristotelian culture, the query of beginning issues used to be handled from unique issues of view: as a query of the way we collect simple wisdom; and as a question of the premises we could instantly settle for within the line of argumentation.
In quantity of Ernest Fortin: accrued Essays, Fortin bargains with the connection among faith and civil society in a Christian context: that of an primarily nonpolitical yet on no account totally otherwordly faith, a lot of whose teachings have been regarded as essentially at odds with the tasks of citizenship.
Antisthenes of Athens (c. 445-365 BCE) was once a well-known old disciple of Socrates, senior to Plato by means of fifteen years and inspirational to Xenophon. he's proper to 2 of the best turning issues in historical highbrow heritage, from pre-Socraticism to Socraticism, and from classical Athens to the Hellenistic interval.
Diagoras of Melos (lyric poet, fifth c. B. C. ) has got certain recognition for a while now simply because he used to be considered as a thorough atheist and the writer of a prose paintings on atheism in antiquity. He used to be infamous for revealing and ridiculing the Eleusinian Mysteries and was once condemned for impiety at Athens.
- Disguise and Recognition in the Odyssey (Greek Studies: Interdisciplinary Approaches)
- Explorations in Ancient and Modern Philosophy: Volume 1
- Aristotle's Ethics as First Philosophy
- Historical Dictionary of Ancient Greek Philosophy (Historical Dictionaries of Religions, Philosophies, and Movements Series)
- Plato and the Socratic Dialogue: The Philosophical Use of a Literary Form
- The Highest Good in Aristotle and Kant (Mind Association Occasional Series)
Extra info for Seneca (Oxford Readings in Classical Studies)