By James Rochlin
The extractive quarter is a specific strong point for Canada and greater than half Canada’s mining resources out of the country can be found in Latin the US, in particular in Brazil, Peru, Chile, and Colombia. The Canada-Colombia accord was once the 1st free-trade contract on the earth to incorporate annual Human Rights impression checks (HRIA), and in addition incorporates a labour facet accord the place abuse court cases could be officially registered. utilizing Colombia as a case examine, James Rochlin and his foreign and multidisciplinary line up of Canadian and Colombian students, and activists operating within the sector of human rights, and the judiciary discover:
- What is find out how to establish and operationalize for mutual profit the concentric area among the pursuits of extractive enterprises in revenue and safeguard, at the one hand, and the pursuits of the host groups within the merchandising of human rights and human safety, at the other?
- What can the 4 emblematic and numerous situations in Colombia (Meta, Sergovia, Marmato, and Bolivar/La Guajira) let us know approximately tips to fantastic music and increase a newly applied governmental HRIA to render it an more and more beneficial international tool to advertise at the same time company protection and human safety for host groups?
- What is the best and potent technique to layout and enforce company Social accountability courses in a fashion that promotes at the same time company defense and neighborhood human security?
Written in a transparent and obtainable kind, Profits, safeguard, and Human Rights presents useful classes on tips on how to advertise either company defense and human safeguard in groups the place the extractive quarter operates within the international South.
Read or Download Profits, Security, and Human Rights in Developing Countries: Global Lessons from Canada’s Extractive Sector in Colombia (Routledge Advances in International Relations and Global Politics) PDF
Similar freedom & security books
Before everything of the twenty-first century, millions of grownup Europeans frequently gown up as Scots. They march in kilted pipe and drum bands, toss tree trunks at Highland video games energy competitions, crusade for monuments to commemorate long-gone Scottish infantrymen, even bodily re-enact the Scottish earlier, in armour and belted plaid.
The thawing Antarctic continent deals residing house and marine and mineral assets that have been formerly inaccessible. This booklet discusses how revisiting the Antarctic Treaty approach and dividing up the continent preemptively may possibly spare the area critical clash. • Argues that the Antarctic Treaty, which was once opened for signature in 1959, has to be reconsidered seeing that strain keeps to construct for the career of the continent and the exploitation of its dwelling and non-living assets • means that overseas clash over Antarctica is probably going within the coming many years, fairly as the ban on mineral assets is up for revision in 2048• Argues that policymakers have to draw classes from the commercial pageant the realm is now witnessing within the thawing Arctic Ocean
Safety in Africa: A serious method of Western symptoms of risk questions the dominant Western narrative of safeguard threats in Africa. in response to an research conventional safeguard stories and Western safeguard coverage, it argues that usual signs are in response to mainstream safety experiences and supply in simple terms circumscribed analyses of threats to overseas safeguard.
From early modernity to this day, society has encountered quite a few kinds of interpersonal violence. via exploration of specific parts inside Europe and Russia to Africa, the US and Asia, this assortment provides either adjustments and connections between a variety of types of interpersonal violence in several occasions, areas, institutional orders and relationships.
- DeathQuest: An Introduction to the Theory and Practice of Capital Punishment in the United States
- The Bottle, The Breast, and the State: The Politics of Infant Feeding in the United States
- Western Muslims and Conflicts Abroad: Conflict Spillovers to Diasporas (Routledge Advances in International Relations and Global Politics)
- New Directions in Genocide Research
Extra resources for Profits, Security, and Human Rights in Developing Countries: Global Lessons from Canada’s Extractive Sector in Colombia (Routledge Advances in International Relations and Global Politics)