By Clive Emsley
Read Online or Download Gendarmes and the State in Nineteenth-Century Europe PDF
Similar freedom & security books
In the beginning of the twenty-first century, hundreds of thousands of grownup Europeans on a regular basis gown up as Scots. They march in kilted pipe and drum bands, toss tree trunks at Highland video games energy competitions, crusade for monuments to commemorate long-gone Scottish squaddies, even bodily re-enact the Scottish previous, in armour and belted plaid.
The thawing Antarctic continent bargains dwelling area and marine and mineral assets that have been formerly inaccessible. This publication discusses how revisiting the Antarctic Treaty method and dividing up the continent preemptively may spare the realm severe clash. • Argues that the Antarctic Treaty, which was once opened for signature in 1959, should be reconsidered on the grounds that strain maintains to construct for the career of the continent and the exploitation of its residing and non-living assets • means that overseas clash over Antarctica is probably going within the coming many years, rather as the ban on mineral assets is up for revision in 2048• Argues that policymakers have to draw classes from the commercial pageant the realm is now witnessing within the thawing Arctic Ocean
Safety in Africa: A serious method of Western signs of risk questions the dominant Western narrative of defense threats in Africa. in line with an research conventional defense stories and Western safeguard coverage, it argues that time-honored symptoms are in line with mainstream protection experiences and supply in basic terms circumscribed analyses of threats to foreign protection.
From early modernity to at the present time, society has encountered numerous different types of interpersonal violence. via exploration of specific parts inside Europe and Russia to Africa, the USA and Asia, this assortment offers either variations and connections between numerous different types of interpersonal violence in numerous instances, areas, institutional orders and relationships.
- Joining the Fray: Outside Military Intervention in Civil Wars (Military Strategy and Operational Art)
- Nonproliferation Policy and Nuclear Posture: Causes and Consequences for the Spread of Nuclear Weapons (Routledge Global Security Studies)
- The Security Context in the Black Sea Region
- Japan's Economic Power and Security: Japan and North Korea (Sheffield Centre for Japanese Studies/Routledge Series)
- The APPSMO Advantage: Strategic Opportunities:Evolving Defence Diplomacy with the Asia Pacific Programme for Senior Military Officers
Extra info for Gendarmes and the State in Nineteenth-Century Europe