By Mariska Leunissen
Read or Download From Natural Character to Moral Virtue in Aristotle PDF
Similar greek & roman philosophy books
This booklet deals the 1st synoptic examine of ways the first parts in wisdom constructions have been analysed in antiquity from Plato to past due old commentaries. It argues that, within the Platonic-Aristotelian culture, the query of beginning issues used to be handled from precise issues of view: as a question of ways we collect simple wisdom; and as a question of the premises we could instantly settle for within the line of argumentation.
In quantity of Ernest Fortin: gathered Essays, Fortin bargains with the connection among faith and civil society in a Christian context: that of an basically nonpolitical yet not at all completely otherwordly faith, lots of whose teachings have been considered essentially at odds with the tasks of citizenship.
Antisthenes of Athens (c. 445-365 BCE) was once a well-known historic disciple of Socrates, senior to Plato by means of fifteen years and inspirational to Xenophon. he's appropriate to 2 of the best turning issues in historical highbrow background, from pre-Socraticism to Socraticism, and from classical Athens to the Hellenistic interval.
Diagoras of Melos (lyric poet, fifth c. B. C. ) has obtained designated cognizance for your time now simply because he was once considered as an intensive atheist and the writer of a prose paintings on atheism in antiquity. He was once infamous for revealing and ridiculing the Eleusinian Mysteries and used to be condemned for impiety at Athens.
- How Philosophy Became Socratic: A Study of Plato's "Protagoras," "Charmides," and "Republic"
- Gerechtigkeit als allgemeine Tugend: Die Rezeption der aristotelischen Gerechtigkeitstheorie im Mittelalter und das Problem des ethischen Universalismus ... Theologie und Philosophie) (German Edition)
- Aristoteles als Naturwissenschaftler (Philosophie der Antike) (German Edition)
- Classical Christianity and the Political Order: Reflections on the Theologico-Political Problem (Ernest Fortin: Collected Essays)
- Routledge History of Philosophy Volume II: Aristotle to Augustine
- Reviving Roman Religion: Sacred Trees in the Roman World (Cambridge Classical Studies)
Extra resources for From Natural Character to Moral Virtue in Aristotle