By Michael M Woolfson
Probability and statistics impinge at the lifetime of the common individual in various methods — as is advised by means of the identify of this publication. quite often, info is supplied that's factually actual yet meant to provide a biased view. This booklet provides the real result of likelihood and data with out making heavy mathematical calls for at the reader. it may allow an clever reader to correctly investigate statistical details and to appreciate that a similar info may be provided in several ways.
- The Nature of Probability
- Combining Probabilities
- A Day on the Races
- Making offerings and Selections
- Non-Intuitive Examples of Probability
- Probability and Health
- Combining possibilities, The Craps online game Revealed
- The united kingdom nationwide Lottery, Loaded cube and Crooked Wheels
- Block Diagrams
- The basic (or Gaussian) Distribution
- Statistics — the gathering and research of Numerical Data
- The Poisson Distribution and dying by means of Horse Kicks
- Predicting balloting Patterns
- Taking Samples — what percentage Fish within the Pond?
- Differences — Rats and IQs
- Crime is expanding and Decreasing
- My Uncle Joe Smoked 60 a Day
- Chance, good fortune and Making Decisions
Readership: Undergraduate scholars in arithmetic; normal public attracted to likelihood and statistics.
Read or Download Everyday Probability and Statistics:Health, Elections, Gambling and War PDF
Similar probability & statistics books
This available booklet goals to assemble in one quantity the necessities of stochastic networks. Stochastic networks became frequent as a easy version of many actual structures in a various diversity of fields. Written via top authors within the box, this publication is intended for use as a reference or supplementary examining through practitioners in operations examine, desktops, communications networks, creation making plans, and logistics.
For the 1st variations of the ebook likelihood (GTM 95), each one bankruptcy integrated a complete and numerous set of suitable routines. whereas the paintings at the 3rd variation used to be nonetheless in development, it used to be made up our minds that it might be extra applicable to post a separate publication that may include all the routines from prior editions, in addition to many new workouts.
Myoung-jae Lee reports the 3 most well liked tools (and their extensions) in utilized economics and different social sciences: matching, regression discontinuity, and distinction in variations. This e-book introduces the underlying econometric and statistical rules, exhibits what's pointed out and the way the pointed out parameters are envisioned, and illustrates how they're utilized with genuine empirical examples.
This booklet presents a common creation to the R Commander graphical person interface (GUI) to R for readers who're unexpected with R. it really is compatible to be used as a supplementary textual content in a simple or intermediate-level records path. it's not meant to interchange a simple or different data textual content yet relatively to enrich it, even though it does advertise sound statistical perform within the examples.
- On Model Uncertainty and its Statistical Implications: Proceedings of a Workshop, Held in Groningen, The Netherlands, September 25–26, 1986: Proceedings ... Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems)
- Basic Statistics and Pharmaceutical Statistical Applications, Third Edition (Pharmacy Education Series)
- Probabilistic Approach to Mechanisms (Studies in Applied Mechanics)
- Stochastic Global Optimization (Springer Optimization and Its Applications)
- Statistics for Finance (Chapman & Hall/CRC Texts in Statistical Science)
Extra info for Everyday Probability and Statistics:Health, Elections, Gambling and War