By Jong Rho,Raman Sankar,Carl E. Stafstrom
Epilepsy has bothered humankind all through recorded heritage; but, it's only within the final half-century, that major growth has been made in our simple realizing of the epileptic mind. Pivotal advances in drug improvement and surgical concepts, in addition to the emergence of cutting edge methods akin to electric stimulation of the anxious procedure, have resulted in a considerable relief within the morbidity and mortality of sufferers with epilepsy. while, awesome advancements in neuroscience have greater our realizing of mind constitution and function.
Epilepsy: Mechanisms, types, and Translational views incorporates new translational advances that deliver epilepsy remedies from the laboratory bench to the bedside and again back. It brings jointly the paintings of greater than 70 of the field’s most useful and state of the art researchers and clinicians. In 24 chapters, this terribly finished and present work:
Offers an outline of the elemental anatomic and sensible substrates of seizure genesis and considers novel pathogenic innovations that experience either emerged and been demonstrated experimentally
- Examines antiepileptic drug remedy, together with the most recent on molecular pursuits
- Looks on the country of surgical remedies for epilepsy and discusses advances within the fields of structural and practical neuroimaging
- Reviews the range of nontraditional healing innovations, equivalent to the ketogenic nutrition, the vagus nerve stimulator, immunomodulators, neurosteroids, herbs, and botanicals
- Investigates neuroendocrine, hormonal, and biobehavioral components that impression seizure susceptibility—information that may be included into the layout of therapy algorithms on an individualized foundation
- Provides a glimpse of what destiny epilepsy remedies could appear like, from novel mechanisms of drug supply to gene and stem-cell remedies for epilepsy to seizure detection tools, to the final word target of illness prevention.
The concept for this ebook used to be encouraged through the editors’ collective wish to advertise bridging of the so-called translational divide—that is, overlaying cutting edge remedy innovations in keeping with clinical ideas that experience but to be established carefully within the scientific surroundings, yet but could provide practitioners with new and promising techniques towards epilepsy therapeutics.
Read or Download Epilepsy: Mechanisms, Models, and Translational Perspectives (Neurological Disease and Therapy) PDF
Best neuropsychology books
The fourth variation of basic Neuroscience reinvents itself as an engrossing and entire presentation of the self-discipline of neuroscience, from molecules to cognition. Thorough yet succinct, and lavishly illustrated, the booklet builds from an introductory part that comes with primary neuroanatomy and is going directly to disguise mobile and molecular neuroscience, improvement, sensory platforms, motor platforms, regulatory platforms, and behavioral and cognitive neuroscience.
Not like the author's prior booklet, therapeutic the unbelievable: Treating Ritual Abuse and brain regulate, which was once for therapists, this publication is designed for survivors of those abuses. It takes the survivor systematically via realizing the abuses and the way his or her signs might be outcomes of those abuses, and provides sensible recommendation relating to how a survivor can in achieving balance and deal with the lifestyles matters with which she or he could have trouble.
Chorea: reasons and administration offers a accomplished and well timed replace for the big variety of neurological stipulations, either inherited and bought, which bring about this universal hyperkinetic flow affliction. This publication describes intimately the most recent medical and etiological information about chorea.
Neuropsychiatric problems and Epigenetics is a finished reference for the epigenetic foundation of most typical neuropsychiatric issues. the quantity is prepared into chapters representing person neuropsychiatric problems, from addition to weight problems contributed by way of top specialists of their respective fields.
- Visual Object Processing: A Cognitive Neuropsychological Approach: Volume 15 (Psychology Library Editions: Perception)
- Human Language and Our Reptilian Brain: The Subcortical Bases of Speech, Syntax, and Thought (Perspectives in Cognitive Neuroscience): The Subcortical Bases of Speech, Syntax and Thought
- The Neurology of Consciousness: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuropathology
- Executive Function and Dysfunction (Cambridge Medicine (Hardcover))
- Neurobiology and Treatment of Traumatic Dissociation: Towards an Embodied Self
- Clinical Neurotherapy: Application of Techniques for Treatment
Extra info for Epilepsy: Mechanisms, Models, and Translational Perspectives (Neurological Disease and Therapy)