By Charles P. Nemeth
Read or Download A Comparative Analysis of Cicero and Aquinas: Nature and the Natural Law (Bloomsbury Studies in Ancient Philosophy) PDF
Similar greek & roman philosophy books
This publication deals the 1st synoptic research of the way the first components in wisdom buildings have been analysed in antiquity from Plato to past due historical commentaries. It argues that, within the Platonic-Aristotelian culture, the query of beginning issues used to be handled from exact issues of view: as a question of ways we gather uncomplicated wisdom; and as a question of the premises we may possibly instantly settle for within the line of argumentation.
In quantity of Ernest Fortin: gathered Essays, Fortin bargains with the connection among faith and civil society in a Christian context: that of an basically nonpolitical yet on no account completely otherwordly faith, a lot of whose teachings have been considered essentially at odds with the tasks of citizenship.
Antisthenes of Athens (c. 445-365 BCE) used to be a recognized historic disciple of Socrates, senior to Plato by way of fifteen years and inspirational to Xenophon. he's suitable to 2 of the best turning issues in historical highbrow background, from pre-Socraticism to Socraticism, and from classical Athens to the Hellenistic interval.
Diagoras of Melos (lyric poet, fifth c. B. C. ) has bought targeted realization for it slow now simply because he was once considered as an intensive atheist and the writer of a prose paintings on atheism in antiquity. He was once infamous for revealing and ridiculing the Eleusinian Mysteries and was once condemned for impiety at Athens.
- The Structure of Enquiry in Plato's Early Dialogues
- Commentary and Tradition: Aristotelianism, Platonism, and Post-Hellenistic Philosophy (Commentaria in Aristotelem Graeca et Byzantina)
- Springs of Western Civilization: A Comparative Study of Hebrew and Classical Cultures
- Thabit ibn Qurra: Science and Philosophy in Ninth-Century Baghdad (Scientia Graeco-Arabica)
- Writing Science (Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Cultures)
- Philosophy in the Roman Empire: Ethics, Politics and Society (Ashgate Ancient Philosophy Series)
Extra resources for A Comparative Analysis of Cicero and Aquinas: Nature and the Natural Law (Bloomsbury Studies in Ancient Philosophy)