By Sara Ahbel-Rappe,Rachana Kamtekar
- Discusses the lifetime of Socrates and key philosophical doctrines linked to him
- Covers the full variety of Socratic reviews from the traditional global to modern ecu philosophy
- Examines Socrates’ position within the better philosophical traditions of the Hellenistic global, the Roman Empire, the Arabic international, the Renaissance, and modern Europe
- Addresses interdisciplinary topics comparable to Socrates and Nietzsche, Socrates and psychoanalysis, and representations of Socrates in art
- Helps readers to appreciate the which means and value of Socrates around the ages
Read or Download A Companion to Socrates (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy) PDF
Similar greek & roman philosophy books
This booklet deals the 1st synoptic learn of ways the first parts in wisdom constructions have been analysed in antiquity from Plato to overdue historic commentaries. It argues that, within the Platonic-Aristotelian culture, the query of beginning issues used to be handled from unique issues of view: as a query of ways we gather easy wisdom; and as a query of the premises we may possibly instantly settle for within the line of argumentation.
In quantity of Ernest Fortin: amassed Essays, Fortin offers with the connection among faith and civil society in a Christian context: that of an primarily nonpolitical yet not at all completely otherwordly faith, a lot of whose teachings have been considered essentially at odds with the tasks of citizenship.
Antisthenes of Athens (c. 445-365 BCE) used to be a recognized historic disciple of Socrates, senior to Plato via fifteen years and inspirational to Xenophon. he's proper to 2 of the best turning issues in historic highbrow historical past, from pre-Socraticism to Socraticism, and from classical Athens to the Hellenistic interval.
Diagoras of Melos (lyric poet, fifth c. B. C. ) has obtained designated cognizance for a while now simply because he used to be considered as an intensive atheist and the writer of a prose paintings on atheism in antiquity. He used to be infamous for revealing and ridiculing the Eleusinian Mysteries and used to be condemned for impiety at Athens.
- Plato and Heidegger: A Question of Dialogue
- Platons Politikos: Ein kritischer Kommentar (Zetemata) (German Edition)
- Den Anfang denken: Band II. Sokrates, Platon und Aristoteles (Philosophische Bibliothek 626) (German Edition)
- Madness Triumphant: A Reading of Lucan's Pharsalia
Additional info for A Companion to Socrates (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy)