By Jorge J. E. Gracia,Timothy B. Noone
- Provides a complete "who's who" consultant to medieval philosophers.
- Offers a clean mixture of essays supplying old context by means of a hundred and forty alphabetically prepared entries on person thinkers.
- Constitutes an generally cross-referenced and listed source.
- Written through a unusual solid of philosophers.
- Spans the historical past of medieval philosophy from the fourth century advert to the 15th century.
Read or Download A Companion to Philosophy in the Middle Ages (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy) PDF
Best greek & roman philosophy books
This e-book bargains the 1st synoptic research of the way the first components in wisdom constructions have been analysed in antiquity from Plato to past due historic commentaries. It argues that, within the Platonic-Aristotelian culture, the query of beginning issues used to be handled from precise issues of view: as a question of the way we collect simple wisdom; and as a query of the premises we might instantly settle for within the line of argumentation.
In quantity of Ernest Fortin: accumulated Essays, Fortin offers with the connection among faith and civil society in a Christian context: that of an basically nonpolitical yet not at all completely otherwordly faith, lots of whose teachings have been regarded as essentially at odds with the tasks of citizenship.
Antisthenes of Athens (c. 445-365 BCE) was once a well-known historical disciple of Socrates, senior to Plato via fifteen years and inspirational to Xenophon. he's proper to 2 of the best turning issues in historical highbrow background, from pre-Socraticism to Socraticism, and from classical Athens to the Hellenistic interval.
Diagoras of Melos (lyric poet, fifth c. B. C. ) has acquired specified awareness for a while now simply because he was once considered as a thorough atheist and the writer of a prose paintings on atheism in antiquity. He used to be infamous for revealing and ridiculing the Eleusinian Mysteries and was once condemned for impiety at Athens.
- Technical Ekphrasis in Greek and Roman Science and Literature: The Written Machine between Alexandria and Rome
- The Good Life and Conceptions of Life in Early China and Graeco-Roman Antiquity (Chinese-Western Discourse)
- In Dialogue with the Greeks: Volume I: The Presocratics and Reality: 1 (Ashgate Wittgensteinian Studies)
- Comparative Essays in Early Greek and Chinese Rational Thinking
- Ethics and Epistemology in Sextus Empircus (Studies in Ethics)
Extra resources for A Companion to Philosophy in the Middle Ages (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy)